Black Belt testings are held every 6 months, and require a great deal of preparation time on the part of the staff. Each test is around 4-5 hours in duration.
Here are the stages of Black Belt testing.
- Warm-up: a bunch of jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups and stretching.
- Kicking. You do each belt’s kicking combination up and down the studio.
- Forms. You run through all the belt forms. Your Master/instructor may ask you to demonstrate these forms in various combinations.
- Self-Defense. These techniques generally include kicks, blocks, punches, and strikes.
- Sparring. After you’ve gone through all the forms, you do two rounds of sparring.
- Board Breaking. These techniques can be separated into three types:
Power breaking – using straightforward techniques to break as many boards as possible
Speed breaking – boards are held loosely by one edge, putting special focus on the speed required to perform the break
Special techniques – breaking fewer boards but using jumping or flying techniques to attain greater height, distance, or to clear obstacles.